Bone Broth - Five Marys Style
Bone Broth is a great Fall recipe to make for nourishment and to have on-hand for all kinds of recipes!
Every successful recipe starts with good ingredients, and bone broth or stock is no exception. The marrow holds so many beneficial nutrients - but you want bones raised naturally without hormones or antibiotics for bones too!
We like to combine marrow and knuckle beef bones - and add a cross-cut beef shanks for some good meatiness and extra marrow too.
- 4-5 pounds Five Marys beef marrow and knuckle bones
- 1-2 pounds meaty cuts like cross-cut shanks
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar *optional*
- 12-16 cups water
- 4 celery stalks, quartered
- 4 carrots, quartered
- 2 small or 1 large onion, quartered
- 6-8 cloves of garlic or 1 head havled
- Five Marys Spice Rub or Sea Salt & Pepper
- Fresh bay leaves & sprigs of rosemary/thyme/marjoram *optional - most in the Spice Rub!*
- Add bones to a pot or a crockpot and pour apple cider vinegar and water to cover. Let sit for an hour or so (to help pull the mineral out of the bones.)
- Bring to a boil and skim off any impurities.
- Add the quartered vegetables and garlic, herbs and spices and cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and skim any foaming impurities from the top again.
- Reduce to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 8-24 hours (if cooking overnight, to be safe - turn off the heat and let it sit overnight, then turn it back on and let simmer all day again) - can also cook in a crockpot on low.
- Let the broth cool and use a knife or spoon to get all of the marrow out of the bones and into the broth before discarding bones.
- Strain in colander, and then strain again through fine mesh sieve.
- As broth cools, a layer of fat will accumulate at the top,
- Enjoy the broth as it is, store in fridge up to 5 to 7 days, or freeze for up to 6 months to use in soups or stews.
**Makes about 8-10 cups!
**For a darker, richer bone broth - place bones and vegetables on a sheet tray and roast in the oven until well colored, rotate if necessary. Then follow same instructions above.
**Remove and save that meaty cross cut beef shank meaty to enjoy - shred in pasta sauce or another recipe!